According to Regulation (EU) 2016/426, the gas appliances must comply with the essential requirements (ER) before being placed on the EU market. Manufacturers shall ensure that their products meet the essential safety requirements. A notified body must be involved in the conformity assessment procedures. To meet the requirements of the Regulation, CerTrust Ltd. has world-class expertise in testing and certification services on the field of gas appliances. Our testing and certification process bases on the standards of the European Union.
We are a notified body in the European Union in the CE conformity assessment procedures for gas appliances, we are actively involved in the regular meetings of the notified bodies, the standardization committees, so we are up to date on the latest developments in the area and regulations. Our experts are internationally recognized, we are in daily contact with manufacturers, distributors and importers.
Our testing and certification activities cover the full scope of the Regulation:
Appliances: appliances burning gaseous fuels used for cooking, refrigeration, air-conditioning, space heating, hot water production, lighting or washing, and also forced draught burners and heating bodies to be equipped with such burners;
Fittings: safety devices, controlling devices or regulating devices and sub-assemblies thereof, designed to be incorporated into an appliance or to be assembled to constitute an appliance.
Conformity assessment procedure to CE mark
The conformity assessment procedure under Regulation (EU) 2016/426 consists of two steps:
- Design Phase - EU Type Examination (Module B). It does not permit the affixing of CE marking.
- Production Phase - Conformity to type based on different aspects of the serial production (Module C2, D or E). It permit the affixing of CE marking followed by the identification number of the notified body.
The purpose of the type examination is to assess whether the product meets the essential requirements (ER) of the Regulation. This assessment must be carried out by a notified body, in this case NB 2806. For this reason, the relevant available (harmonized) EU standards are used for the presumption of conformity and assessment procedures. The conformity assessment is performed according to the full content of Annex I of Regulation (EU) 2016/426.
The manufacturer must provide the following information attached to the application:
- The name and address of the manufacturer and, if the application is lodged by the authorised representative, his name and address as well;
- a written declaration that the same application has not been lodged with any other notified body;
- the technical documentation ;
- the supporting evidence for the adequacy of the technical design solution. This supporting evidence shall mention any documents that have been used, in particular where the relevant harmonised standards have not been applied in full. The supporting evidence shall include, where necessary, the results of tests carried out in accordance with other relevant technical specifications by the appropriate laboratory of the manufacturer, or by another testing laboratory on his behalf and under his responsibility;
- the EU type-examination certificate and the EU declaration of conformity relating to the fittings incorporated into the appliance;
- attestations and certificates relating to the methods of manufacture and/or inspection and/or monitoring of the appliance or the fitting;
- any other document making it possible for the notified body to improve its assessment.
You can download our application form from the Downloads menu.
Once the type-examination has proven that the product type complies with the ER, it must be verified that the serially produced appliances or fittings conform to the EU type-examination certificate before being placed on the EU market.
When checking the production phase, the applicant can choose from the module system (based on preference and possibility) given in the Regulation (EU) 2016/426 (Annex III):
- Module C2: Conformity to type based on internal production control plus supervised product checks at random intervals. Partial product testing is performed.
- Module D: Conformity to type based on quality assurance of the production process. The manufacturer operates an approved quality system for the production, final product inspection and testing of the gas appliances concerned. The chosen notified body shall monitor the quality management system.
- Module E: Conformity to type based on product quality assurance. The manufacturer operates an approved quality system for final product inspection and testing of the gas appliances concerned. The chosen notified body shall monitor the quality management system.
- Module G: Conformity based on unit verification, performed in one phase. Valid on the tested appliance only, permits the affixing of the CE marking.
Strengths of CerTrust in this area
- Experts with more than a decade of experience in internationally recognized manufacturing and conformity assessment.
- A wide range of relationships with experts, consulting companies, authorities, manufacturers, importers, trading companies.
- Wide range of experiences with the conformity assessment requirements of the full scope of the Regulation.
- Fast response, smooth communication, work out the details of the test before the actual test phase.
- High level competence of our Hungarian and Chinese offices and laboratories
- 20-30 business days lead time for EU Type examination.
Regulation (EU) 2016/426 has legal force in all member states without any local legal acts. On the other hand we shall mention that there are significant differences between member states due to the type and pressure of various gases (according the EN 437), some local installation rules may be different, the status of the flue piping may also be different (certified together with the gas appliance or part of the building as chimney).