According to Directive 2014/28/EU explosives for civil uses must comply with the essential safety requirements (ESR) before being placed on the EU market. Manufacturers should ensure that their products meet the essential safety requirements. The notified body must be involved in the conformity assessment procedures. To meet the requirements of the directive, CerTrust Ltd. has world-class expertise in testing and certification services on the field of explosives. Our certification process bases on the harmonized standards of the European Union.
We are a notified body in the European Union in the conformity assessment procedures for explosives for civil uses and we are actively involved in the regular meetings of the notified bodies, the standardization committees, so we are up to date on the latest developments in the area and regulations. Our experts are internationally recognized, not to mention that we are in daily contact with manufacturers, distributors and importers.
Our explosives for civil uses certificates covers all categories of the directive. Even it is an emulsion explosive, high explosive, perforator, black powder, detonating cord, detonator, etc. Our experts are internationally recognised and they have several decades of experience on the field of manufacture, research and developement and conformity assessment.
Conformity assessment procedure to get CE mark
The conformity assessment procedure according to 2014/28/EU Directive has two phases:
- Design phase - EU-type examination (Module B)
- Production phase
- Conformity to type based on internal production control plus supervised product checks at random intervals (Module C2)
- OR Conformity to type based on quality assurance of the production process (Module D)
- OR Conformity to type based on product quality assurance (Module E)
- OR Conformity to type based on product verification (Module F)
- Both phases together
- Conformity based on unit verification (Module G)
The purpose of the type examination is to assess whether the product meets the essential safety requirements (ESR) of the Directive. This assessment must be carried out by a notified body, in this case NB 2806. For this reason, the relevant harmonized standards are used for conformity assessment procedures.
Compulsory tests required by Type Examination (Module B):
- Determination of density of explosives
- Determination of sensitiveness to friction of explosives
- Determination of sensitiveness to impact of explosives
- Determination of thermal stability of explosives
Other, optional examinations:
- Determination of velocity of detonation
- Determination of exact sensitiveness to friction of explosives
The manufacturer must provide the following information for the application:
- The name and address of the manufacturer, if the application is made by an authorized representative, the name and address of this applicant.
- EU Tax number
- Declaration that the same application has not been lodged with any other Notified body
- Information regarding the product submitted for type examination:
- Technical documentation
- General description of the product
- Main parts, components, production plans and sketches
- Labelling design
You can download our application form from the Downloads menu.
Once the type-examination has proven that the product type complies with the ESR, it must be verified that the manufactured articles conform to the type certification before being placed on the EU market.
When checking the production phase, the applicant can choose from the module system (based on preference and possibility) given in the Directive 2014/28/EU (Annex III):
- Module C2
- Conformity to type based on internal production control plus supervised product checks at random intervals. A detailed examination of all the items to be placed on the EU market by the manufacturer.
- Module D
- Conformity to type based on quality assurance of the production process. The manufacturer operates an approved quality system for the production, final product inspection and testing of the pyrotechnic articles concerned. The chosen notified body shall monitor the quality management system.
- Module E
- Conformity to type based on product quality assurance. The manufacturer operates an approved quality system for final product inspection and testing of the pyrotechnic articles concerned. The chosen notified body shall monitor the quality management system.
- Module F
- Conformity to type based on product verification. The notified body shall test all of the products before allowed to issue the certificate.
- Module G
- Conformity based on unit verification. The manufacturer doesn not have the EU-type certificates (Module B) and provides the technical documentation to the notified body and if it’s approved starts the production. The notified body shall test all of the products before allowed to issue the certificate.
The regulations made by the Notified Bodies can be downloaded from the Downloads menu.
Strengths of CerTrust in this area:
- Experts with more than a decade of experience in internationally recognized manufacturing and conformity assessment.
- A wide range of relationships with experts, consulting companies, authorities, manufacturers, importers, trading companies.
- Wide range of experience with the conformity assessment requirements of pyrotechnic articles in all categories of the Directive.
- Fast response, smooth communication, work out the details of the test before the actual test phase
- High level competence of our Hungarian and Chinese offices and laboratories
- 20-25 business days lead time (EU Type examination)